Monday, May 3, 2010

May is about CURVES

My resolution for this month came to me unexpectedly.  Last week I was sorting through mail at the church when I came across an envelope addressed to me.  I opened it and found a very nice letter from the owner of the local CURVES fitness center.  It so happens that they want to do something nice for pastor's wives in the area and are giving us a free 12 month membership to their facility.  I was touched on various levels.
After the warm fuzzies cleared, I realized that I knew nothing about CURVES other than that a lot of older women enjoy going.  Immediately, I started to visualize all these elderly women in a little gym working out together.  I could hear the elevator music that probably played in the background, and I started to put the letter and free membership aside.  But then I started to think about some of the great things I had experienced as a result of my April resolution.  One of the main lessons I learned was to try new things even if at first you think you may not like them.  So in that moment, I made the decision to set up an appointment and go.  After all, it was going to cost me nothing, other than the commitment of 30 minutes a day, several times a week.  I really had nothing to lose.
If you have never tried CURVES and are wondering what it's all about, this month, I will be documenting my experience.  My May resolution is to attend CURVES faithfully and do their program.  I will share my thoughts about CURVES, the people I meet, and the results I get in the next 30 days.
I went in for my first meeting with them on Friday and during that time, I also had a fitness assessment done.  I don't remember all my numbers, but I will share the ones I do.  But before I disclose my weight, measurements, and body fat percentage, I have to tell you about my first real life experience with my local CURVES fitness center.

First Visit
CURVES is everything I thought it would be and more.  The receptionist was extremely friendly and chipper.  I just had to smile being around her.  As I looked around, there were older ladies working out at the various machines.  I couldn't help but notice that I was by far the youngest one there.  While I was filling out paperwork, the owner came over and commented on how young I looked.  "Are you in High School?" she asked.  Before I could answer the receptionist piped in, loud enough for all to hear "Oh no, she's 30!  The conversation that ensued, much to my embarrassment, was about how young I looked and how amazing it was that I had no wrinkles at the age of 30.  All the little old ladies just looked at me.  Yes, it was a little awkward but in a strange way, it made me feel good.  Not having as many noticeable wrinkles is definitely a compliment even if it was a little embarrassing that it was pointed out to everyone there.
After that conversation ended, the lively receptionist explained the CURVES philosophy and program.  I must say that I was drawn in.  The hook that got me was their nifty computer program that tracks ALL your workouts and progress.  I love having goals!  They also reward you for meeting your goals which is a definite plus because I LOVE to get gold stars :)  Because everything is computerized, yes, even their machines,  your workouts are designed based on your targets.  I thought this was a cool feature.  Another thing I liked is that you can work as hard as you want.  The machines adjust to the intensity you put out but also encourage you to go at a certain level in order to meet your target.  It will be interesting to see if I am able to get a hard workout.  I am somewhat skeptical because older ladies are drawn to it.  If those machines had really hard workout potential, why aren't more fit people using them?  I guess I'll find out.
There were some things that I didn't think were so great.  The checking in process seemed a bit complicated but that could be because I'm new and was getting a lot of information all at once.  When you come in, you have to change shoes.  I think this is annoying.   The other thing that caught my attention was the interesting background voice that periodically chimes in to prompt you to move to the next station.  "You are smart!", "You are intelligent!", "You are sexy!"  Not sure what else to say about that other than it was hard not to laugh every time I heard her. In time, I may find her motivating.  I'll just have to wait and find out. 
After I was somewhat oriented to their process, it was off to the scale, tape measure, and body fat device. 

Fitness Assessment
Here are my Day 1 stats as I remember them.

Height: 5'9
Hips: 41 inches
Biceps: 12 inches
Waist: 33 inches
Thighs: 23 inches
Weight: 166.5 
Body Fat Percentage: 30%
BMI: 24.6

The exciting thing about my numbers is that they were all within the normal range.  Granted they were in the higher range for normal, but normal nonetheless :)  What this means is that I am no longer in the overweight category!  I'm not sure what CURVES will do in terms of my numbers, but I think something is bound to change.   The changes I would like is to see is in the weight and body fat percentage areas.  I weighed in during the afternoon, with clothes, so my actual weight is lower.  But by the end of the month, I would like it to be 160 on their scale.  Body Fat Percentage wise, I'd like it at around 28-29%. 

I'm excited to begin the CURVE journey.  I have a feeling I'm going to meet some great people along the way!  Maybe I'll even start liking the voice-over-motivation lady. Bring on May!!

No comments:

Post a Comment