Monday, February 1, 2010

Clutter Be Gone!!!

The month of February will be about cleaning out all the clutter in my house. I am for the most part a fairly organized person and like to live in a space that is clean and free of clutter. This of course does not always happen, especially in the spaces that have doors or coverings of some kind. If I can't easily see it, then I don't tend to worry if it's messy. There are days though, that I think about all the hidden clutter in my house and I get bothered. What does all this hidden clutter say about me? According to my good friend Oprah,it says a lot. She says that our homes are a reflection of our souls. If that is true, then my soul is in need of some work.

I decided to take pictures of my problem areas. I don't have all of the pics yet, but I will post the ones I have. There are six problem areas:

1) Paper, paper, paper. Junk drawer. It piles up in the kitchen table, counter, or any flat surface near the kitchen. No matter what I do, paper is always somewhere it shouldn't be. This month I WILL win the war against this annoying foe.





















2) Coat closet. When we moved in a year and half ago, I put boxes in there intending to unpack them later. Well, that never happened. They are still there along with everything else I don't have a place for. When people come over and they have their coats, I don't offer to take them because I'm afraid that when I open the closet things will fall out.




3) Mike's office. I don't even know what to say about this room. It just needs some serious help.

4) The garage. I have cleaned the garage out twice since we moved in and it just keeps getting invaded by more stuff. I am not going to cast blame on why this is so, but I have a feeling it's not all me!

5) The guest room. This used to be a room free of clutter but somehow became the place where I fold laundry that never makes it upstairs to the closet or drawers. This room shouldn't take much work because all I need to do is take the clothes upstairs and put them away.

6) Family room. Toys, toys, and more toys. I need to find a good way to organize all of Matthew's toys.

I have taken pics of some of the problem areas as they are now. At the end of the month I will take pictures of the same areas and post the after shots. My hope is to see some improvement! My plan is to spend some time every day (not to exceed one hour) tackling clutter. There are several days this month when I will be out of town. To stay faithful to my resolution, I will offer my organization service to my host. In this case, it will be my mom :)
I'm excited about this month and am anxious to get started!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, the famous get-organized resolution. :) You mentioned that our homes are a reflection of our souls and I can agree! As soon as you clean up this clutter, you feel a huge weight taken off and not only will your house be clean, but so will your mind! For me, clutter caused unnecessary stress. Cleaning up the clutter was the first thing I did when I finished school. I don't have a house, but I had 8 years of clutter in my room. I chose to dedicate one week of evenings to clean it out. I really had to detach myself from MANY things and just throw it all away.

    ReplyDelete