Friday, April 30, 2010

Comfort Goals

Two more days till the big day!!  Yesterday I went out to run 5 miles and it was effortless.  That run was what I needed to give me that confidence boost for race day.  I have a short 2 mile run today and then my training is officially over.   Hard to believe how fast these last four months flew by!  As race day draws closer, I find myself thinking if my training was enough to get me my goal of a sub 2:00 half marathon.   I didn't follow a pre-made training plan.  I made up my own based on basic principles of training schedules, my running level and past personal running experiences.  In the future I may opt to go with a professional training plan especially if I am  significantly off in my estimated finish time.   I guess I'll just have to see how it goes on Sunday :)

I know I will be heartbroken if I don't get my time but I know that there are things that are just beyond my control on race day.  This week, I have spent some time thinking of other acceptable finish times that will help me find comfort if I don't get my ideal goal time. So here they are:

Make My Heart Happy Goal 1:  Finish the Half Marathon in under 2:00.  I don't care if it's only a fraction of a second under 2 hours.  I just want to see a 1 as the first number in my finish time.

Comfort My Heart Goal 2: Finish in under 2:10.  I am pretty confident I can do this.  I can run very comfortably at a 9:30 min pace.  I have noticed that it's also my default pace.  I naturally fall into this pace stride.  

Sorta Comfort My Heart Goal 3: Finish in under 2:21.  This is my current PR for the half marathon.  I have only done one. I think one of the main reasons, I have not trained to do another one is because I wanted to get a significantly better time and I knew that it would require lots of time and dedication.   Now is my time.  I've put in the work.

On a completely random thought...  This week I came across the yummiest milk beverage ever! Silk has come out with Almond Milk that tastes amazing!


If you haven't tried it, you should. It tastes great straight up, no need to put in in cereal. The vanilla flavored one is the best!  Great after a run or just as a snack is yummy too :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I discovered Blue Diamond's almond milk just this week!! I LOVE it.

    I can't wait to see you make your goal!!! :) (I had typed "see IF", but I changed it, I know you're going to make it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita! You'll be there to watch it happen :)

    ReplyDelete