Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Pace Man

I am so excited that my sweet husband will be running the half marathon with me! He secretly signed up for it and then couldn't hold it in and ended up telling me he had actually registered. The plan is that he will be my pace man and make sure I make my time. How sweet is that?!
Although, I'm excited that he's willing to run with me, there's a part of me that wishes he would go all out and see what time he could get. Mikey is a natural runner. It's an effortless activity for him. He can take a break from running for months and eat brownies and pizza till his heart's content and then be able to go out and run 7 minute miles with little effort. I often have wondered how well he could do in a race if he actually trained and gave 100% effort. Maybe one day I'll get to see him in action. I've been trying to convince him to run a 10K this summer and beat out a guy whose been winning this particular race for the last 4 years. I know he could do it but so far it hasn't sparked his interest too much. I'm still holding out hope though :)
I know I said that I would post my weekly progress on Mondays but I'm finding it hard to keep it all in until then! So I'm just going to post my weekly weight loss goal then and update on my running during the week.
Today I ran 3.5 miles. I warmed up for 1/2 mile and then did my 3 mile speed run. I wasn't sure what to expect and I was a little anxious about the whole thing. I didn't really have a game plan on how I was going to break down the miles. Was I going to keep the same pace the whole three miles? Would doing intervals be better? Maybe doing sprint blocks followed by recovery blocks would get me a faster time? I debated back and forth until I finally decided that I would do intervals. I would start at an 8:40 pace for a couple of minutes and then go down every minute for four minutes. This was the progression.. 8:34, 8:27, 8:20, and 8:13. After that I went back down to 8:40 for a minute of recovery and then I would do the progression all over again. I did this for two miles. My last mile I decided to recover at an 8:34 pace and then go down from there. My last minute or so ended up being at a 7:30 pace. My final time for the three miles....25:15! This time is a whole minute and 15 seconds less than my last week time! If you are a runner, you know how hard it can be to shave off time, so I'm feeling pretty accomplished right now :)
I have three weeks to go and a lot of miles to run in between but I'm thinking that these legs of mine might just be able to go faster than I thought :)
By the way...Mikey went out and did three miles as well today. His time: 21:42. A little part of my heart is jealous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment